Most of the stuff that I do is in woodwork. I have set up a page with more details of how I built some of my projects. What are shown here are the final products.

The mirror frame was made from some recycled oak. It wasn't long enough, so I joined two pieces together. The joint was supposed to be a decorative dovetail and a noticeable feature, but it's pretty close to invisible.
This is lots of hexagonal slices cut out of pine glued together on an MDF base. There is a lot of variation in grain and knot structure in pine which gives this table some character.
The first box I did was simply an exercise in marquetry. The box is just plywood glued together with a veneer.
The next boxes I did used a teak substitute called iroko. The decorations on these are all inlay work.
I acquired about 5000 mahogany blocks from some friends. I sent them a thank you card made from the wood.
A bespoke blanket box. I have a separate page describing how I made this.
An easy thing to make out of my mahogany blocks are stools. For more on these stools go here.
Small tables (1, 2 and 3) can also be made from these blocks ...
... and wastepaper bins.
You can also make light pulls from the mahogany blocks.
For once, this table was not made from my mahogany blocks! The top was made from a slice of an ash(?) trunk which had interesting fungal markings. The legs and base are oak from Ickworth Wood Fair. The table is a marudai.
My partner does a lot of embroidery and wanted a tressle for her larger slate frames. These generally cost more than £500 (in beech). Fortunately, she came up with an excellent idea/design that used commonly available softwood that avoided joint cutting.
Back to using the mahogany blocks again. This is an offset table that fits nicely around my sofa.
This table uses the same blocks, but I have cut them into triangles (384 of them!) and formed a mosaic from the accurately cut pieces. I'm not doing this again in a hurry.
Of course, the marudai (see above) has not been used for its intended purpose. It seems that it makes an ideal table for holding a cup of tea! So Nik wanted a similar table made with a bottom heavy base so that it is less likely to fall over. I then decided to hollow out the base using a router so that things can also be stored in it as well.


I also like printing, mainly relief work using lino.

I first went on a course at West Dean ...
... and then one at St. Barnabas Press.

The rest I have done at home mainly using my Adana 8x5.

I hadn't realized that it's been 11 years since I last did a lino print! Here is my old chapel, Bethel, back in Porthcawl.


One of the most cost effective courses I have been to at West Dean was the framing course. I now frame all my prints and photos myself. Karen wrote up some notes from this course.

Card making

Over the years I've got into the habit of making my own cards for various occasions. Most are my own design, but where they are not, I have tried to give the reference to the book from where I got the design.

Cards 1, Cards 2, Cards 3 and Valentine.


Shortly after getting a digital camera, I started joining my pictures together - mainly since I didn't have a wide-angle lens on my camera.

My stitched together pictures can be found here and here.


I did a mosaic course run by Paint Magic in London and also Making Mosaics in Saffron Walden. I enjoyed doing these, but am looking for ideas for a (not too ambitious) project to do.

In 2014, I attended a course run by Rosalind Wates at the Phoenix Studio where I did the raven.

Leaded glass

The course I did for this was run by West Dean again. Here are some notes that were done at the course.
The Biggest and Best!

This combined leaded glass work and some glass painting.

I've also done some copperfoil work with variable results.

Glass painting

A friend alerted me to an excellent glass painting product - Vitrea 160. You paint this onto glass, let it dry for 24 hours and bake it in the oven at 160°C.


This is a bit of a failed project. I thought about making a full-size tepee for my god-daughter. To test out the design I made a scale model which could be used by my god-daughter's Barbie. Scaling the model up, I realized that the cost of the material would be prohibative considering that play tents could be bought for about £20. Also I realized that I found sewing tedious.

Food related stuff

Not really art, but I think that these chocolates that I made look quite good.
The Hexenberg Cake - a new take on an old favourite.
The Gothenberg Cake - not my original idea, but still fun.
Some lovely eyeballs for Halloween (lychees, blueberries and strawberry purée)

Odds and ends

This gets space here since this is the first picture that I drew in school. Back in those days, apples were redder, juicier and much bigger.

Dafydd Wyn Evans / IoA / dwe@ast.cam.ac.uk
Last update 19 May 2018