Institute of Astronomy

Dark energy and the fate of the Universe

SpeakerTalk DateWeekly Handout
Sonke Hee19 November 2014
Additional Information
Group:2nd Cambourne Guides
Weather:Partly Clear
Number of Visitors:190

Talk Summary

Dark Energy and Dark Matter shroud modern cosmology with an air of mystery. Though we have come such a long way in describing planet, star and galaxy formation, we now believe these objects only account for around 5% of the universe as a whole... so what about the remaining 95%? In this talk I hope to outline what Dark Matter and Energy are, their differences, and primarily why we need them to exist at all. Concluding with some interesting implications on where the 'fate' of the universe may take us in light of these findings.

Images

Presentation