[NOTE: Conference abstracts, popular articles, etc. are omitted from the
- A Model of the Quasi-Stellar Radio Variable CTA 102. Nat 207,
730 (1965) (with D.W. Sciama).
- Structure of the Quasi-Stellar Radio Source 3C 273. Nat 208,
371 (1965) (with D.W. Sciama).
- Kinetic Temperature and Ionization Level of Intergalactic Hydrogen in a
Steady State Universe. ApJ 145, 6 (1966) (with D.W. Sciama).
- Appearance of Relativistically Expanding Radio Sources. Nat 211,
- Inverse Compton Effect in Quasars. Nat 211, 805 (1966) (with D.W.
- Cosmological Significance of the Relation between Redshift and Flux Density
for Quasars. Nat 211, 1283 (1966) (with D.W. Sciama).
- Absorption Spectrum of 3C 9. Nat 212, 1001 (1966) (with D.W.
- The Role of Thermal Instability in Galaxy Formation. Mem. Soc. Roy.
Sci. Liege 17, 31 (1967).
- The Detection of Heavy Elements in Intergalactic Space. ApJ
147, 353 (1967) (with D.W. Sciama).
- Physical Processes in Radio Sources and the Intergalactic Medium.
Doctoral Thesis, Cambridge University (1967).
- Possible Large-scale Clustering of Quasars. Nat 213, 374 (1967)
(with D.W. Sciama).
- Studies in Radio Source Structure I. A Relativistically Expanding Model for
Variable Quasi-Stellar Radio Sources. MNRAS 135, 345 (1967).
- Studies in Radio Source Structure II. The Relaxation of Relativistic
Electron Spectra in Self-Absorbed Radio Sources. MNRAS 136,
- Studies in Radio Source Structure III. Inverse Compton Radiation from
Radio Sources. MNRAS 137, 429 (1967).
- Possible Circular Polarization of Compact Quasars. Nat 216,
147 (1967) (with D.W. Sciama).
- Extragalactic Soft X-ray Astronomy. Nat 217, 316 (1968)
(with D.W. Sciama and G. Setti).
- Largescale Density Inhomogeneities in the Universe. Nat 217,
511 (1968) (with D.W. Sciama).
- Evidence for Relativistic Expansion in Variable Radio Sources.
ApJ 152, L145 (1968) (with M. Simon).
- Proton Synchrotron Radiation from Compact Radio Sources.
Astrophys. J. Lett. 2,
- Stimulated Inverse Compton Scattering.
Nat 217, 931 (1968) (with P. Goldreich and R. McCray).
- Polarization and Spectrum of Primeval Radiation in an Anisotropic Universe.
ApJ 153, L1 (1968).
- Metastable Helium in Interstellar and Intergalactic Space.
Astrophys. J. Lett. 2, 243 (1968) (with D.W. Sciama and
- Model for the Evolution of Extended Radio Sources. Nat 219,
127 (1968) (with G. Setti).
- Composition and Origin of Cosmic Rays. Nat 219, 1005 (1968).
(with W.L.W. Sargent).
- Detectability of Quasars Beyond z . Astrophys. J. Lett. 4, 61 (1968).
- Cosmological Implications of the Diffuse X-ray Background.
Nat 221, 924 (1969) (with J.E. Felten).
- Scattering of Background X-rays by Metagalactic Electrons. Astrophys. J. Lett. 4,
- Infrared Radiation from Dust in Seyfert Galaxies. Nat 223,
788 (1969) (with J. Silk, M.W. Werner and N.C. Wickramasinghe).
- The Free Electron Concentration in HIs Regions of the Galaxy.
Comm. Astrophys. and Space Phys. 1, 35
(1969) (with D.W. Sciama).
- Evolution of Density Fluctuations in the Universe: Dissipative Processes
in the Early Stages. Comm. Astrophys. and Space Phys. 1, 140
(1969) (with D.W. Sciama).
- Cosmic Electrons and Diffuse Galactic X- and Gamma Radiation.
Astron. and Astrophys. 3, 452 (1969) (with J. Silk).
- Infrared and Microwave Astronomy. Nat 224, 752 (1969)
(with P.A. Feldman and M.W. Werner).
- Evolution of Density Fluctuations in the Universe: The Formation of
Galaxies. Comm. Astrophys. and Space Phys. 1, 153
(1969) (with D.W. Sciama).
- The Collapse of the Universe: An Eschatological Study. Observatory
89, 193 (1969).
- Upper Limit to Radiation of Mass-Energy Derived from Expansion of the
Galaxy. Phys. Rev. Letters 23, 1514 (1969)
(with G.B. Field and D.W. Sciama).
- The Astronomical Significance of Mass Loss by Gravitational Radiation.
Comm. Astrophys. and Space Phys. 1, 187 (1969)
(with G.B. Field and D.W. Sciama).
- Cosmological Significance of Observations at Far-Infrared and Millimeter
Wavelengths. ESRO book S.P. 52, p.23 (1971).
- The Expansion Energy of the Crab Nebula. Astrophys. J. Lett.
5, 93 (1970) (with V. Trimble).
- Effects of Central Pulsars on Supernova Envelopes. Astrophys. J. Lett. 6, 55 (1970).
- Absorption and Scattering of Ultraviolet and X-ray Photons by
Intergalactic Gas. Astron. and Astrophys. 8, 410
(1970) (with G. Setti).
- The Nature of Pulsar Radiation: Radiation Mechanisms for Pulsars.
Nat 266, 622 (1970) (with F. Pacini).
- Current Ideas on Galaxy Formation. (Varenna Lectures 1969) `General
Relativity and Cosmology' (Academic Press) p.315.
- Origin of the Cosmic X-ray Background. `Non-Solar X-ray and
Gamma-ray Astronomy', ed. L. Gratton (Reidel, Holland)
p.352 (1970) (with G. Setti).
- Soft X-rays from the Galaxy. `Non-solar X-ray and Gamma-ray
Astronomy', ed. L. Gratton (Reidel, Holland) p.406 (1970).
- Interactions of Non-Thermal X-rays and Ultraviolet Radiation with the
Intergalactic Gas. `Non-Solar X-ray and Gamma-ray Astronomy',
ed. L. Gratton (Reidel, Holland) p.402 (1970)
(with G. Setti).
- On Multiple Absorption Redshifts in QSOs. ApJ 160, L29,
- Heating of HI Regions by Soft X-rays, II: The Effect of Galactic Soft
X-ray Sources. ApJ 161, 965 (1970)
(with M.W. Werner and J. Silk).
- Extragalactic Variable Radio Sources. Nat 227, 1303
(1970) (with M. Simon).
- The Origin of Galaxies. Sci. Am. 222, 26 (1970) (with J. Silk).
- Evolution of Radio Sources. `Nuclei of Galaxies' (Pontificiae
Academiae Scientiarium Scripta Varia, No. 35) p.633.
- The Cosmic Background Radiation: Some Recent Developments.
`Highlights of Astronomy', ed. C. de Jager (Reidel, Holland)
- Some Observable Consequences of Accretion by Defunct Pulsars.
Astrophys. J. Lett. 6, 179
(with J.P. Ostriker and J. Silk).
- Cosmological Evidence from Quasars and Radio Galaxies.
`Quasars and External
Galaxies', ed. D.S. Evans (Reidel, Holland)
- Non-Thermal Continuum from the Crab Nebula: The Synchro-Compton
Interpretation. `The Crab Nebula', ed. R.D. Davies and F.G. Smith
(Reidel, Holland) p.407 (1971).
- Pulsars and Runaway Stars. `The Crab Nebula', ed. R.D. Davies and
F.G. Smith (Reidel, Holland) p.273 (1971) (with V. Trimble).
- On Possible Observable Effects of Electron Pair Production in QSOs.
MNRAS 152, 21 (1971) (with S. Bonometto).
- Runaway Stars and the Pulsars near the Crab Nebula. ApJ 166,
L85 (1971) (with V. Trimble).
- On Quasars, Dust and the Galactic Centre. MNRAS 152, 461 (1971)
(with D. Lynden-Bell).
- Extragalactic Pulsars. ApJ 162, 737 (1970) (with J.N. Bahcall
and E.E. Salpeter).
- New Interpretation of Extragalactic Radio Sources. Nat 229,
312 (1971) (errata, p. 510).
- Planet, Pulsar, Glitch and Wisp. Nat 229, 395 (1971)
(with V. Trimble and J.M. Cohen).
- Implications of the `Wave Field' Theory of the Continuum from the Crab
Nebula. Nat P.S. 230, 55 (1971).
- Variability in the X-ray Flux from M 87. Nat P.S., 230, 188 (1971) (with A.F. Janes, K.A. Pounds and
- Extragalactic Explosive Phenomena. Astron. Acta. 17,
- Effects of Very Long Wavelength Primordial Gravitational Radiation.
MNRAS 154, 187 (1971).
- Is the Far-Infrared Radiation from Galactic Nuclei due to Molecular Masers?
Mém. Soc. Roy. Sci. Liège 3, 591 (1972)
(with P.M. Solomon).
- Pulsar Theory: I. Dynamics and Electrodynamics.
Comm. Astrophys. and Space Phys. 3, 185 (1971)
(with P. Goldreich and F. Pacini).
- Mass Loss from the Galaxy. ESRO book S.P. on `The Significance of
Space Research for Fundamental Physics', p.29 (1971)
(with G.B. Field and D.W. Sciama).
- On the V/Vm Test applied to Quasi-Stellar Radio Sources.
MNRAS 154, 1 (1971) (with M. Schmidt).
- Pulsar Theory: II. Radiation Mechanisms. Comm. Astrophys. and Space
Phys. 4, 23 (1972)
(with P. Goldreich and F. Pacini).
- Continuum Radiative Transfer in Hot Plasma, with Application to Scorpius
X-1. Astron. and Astrophys. 17, 226 (1972)
(with J.E. Felten).
- The Structure of Seyfert Nuclei. Comm. Astrophys. and Space Phys. 4, 7 (1972) (with W.L.W. Sargent).
- Continuum and Line Profiles in Thermal X-ray Sources. Proc. 12th
International Conference on Cosmic Rays (August 1971) Vol. 1, 415
(with J.E. Felten).
- The Counts of Radio Sources. Comm. Astrophys. and Space Phys. 4, 79 (1972) (with M.S. Longair).
- Remarks on Intergalactic Magnetic Fields. A&A 19, 189 (1972) (with M. Reinhardt).
- Observational Cosmology. `Cargese Lectures on Physics VI', ed. E. Schatzman (Gordon and Breach) p.269 (1973).
- The Interpretation of Variable Components in the `Synchro-Compton'
Theory of Extragalactic Radio Sources. Astrophys. J. Lett. 10, 77 (1972) (with R.D. Blandford).
- Transfer Effects on X-ray Lines in Optically Thick Celestial Sources.
Astron. and Astrophys. 21, 139 (1972)
(with J.E. Felten and T.F. Adams).
- Origin of the Microwave Background in a Chaotic Universe.
Phys. Rev. Letters 28, 1669 (1972).
- Rotation in High Energy Astrophysics. Sci. Am.
228 (2), 98 (1973) (with F. Pacini).
- Evolutionary Theories of the X-ray Background and the Interpretation
of Small-scale Anisotropies. `Cosmic X-ray and Gamma-ray Astronomy',
eds. H. Bradt and R. Giacconi (Reidel, Holland) p.250 (1973).
- The Cosmological Significance of e2/Gm2 and Related Numbers.
Comm. Astrophys. and Space Phys. 4, 179 (1972).
- The Interaction of Primordial Gravitational Waves with Groups of Galaxies.
MNRAS 159, 11P (1972).
- Accretion Disc Models for Compact X-ray Sources. Astron. and
AstroPhys. 21, 1 (1972) (with J.E. Pringle).
- Sources and Astrophysical Effects of Gravitational Waves.
Ondes et Radiations Gravitationelles', p.203 (CNRS 1973).
- Radio Halos Around Old Pulsars - Ghost Supernova Remnants.
Astron. and Astrophys. 23, 145 (1973) (with R.D. Blandford,
J.P. Ostriker and F. Pacini).
- New Evidence on Long-term Behaviour of Her X-1. Nat 244,
212 (1973) (with A.C. Fabian and J.E. Pringle).
- Astrophysical Aspects of Gravitational Waves. Ann. N.Y. Acad.
Sci. 224, 118 (1973).
- Recent Developments in Cosmology. Phys. Bull. 24, 651
- Accretion onto Massive Black Holes. Astron. and Astrophys.
29, 179 (1973) (with J.E. Pringle and A.G. Pacholczyk).
- Astrophysical Implications of Extragalactic Radio Sources. Proc. 1st European
Astronomical Meeting, Athens 3, 190 (1973)
- X-ray Sources in Close Binary Systems. `Highlights of Astronomy',
ed. G. Contopoulos (Reidel, Holland) p.176 (1974).
- Black Holes, Gravitational Waves and Cosmology,
(Gordon and Breach, London 1974) (with R. Ruffini and J.A. Wheeler) (Book).
- Variations in the Primordial Helium Abundance. MNRAS 166, 663
(1974) (with G.R. Gisler and E.R. Harrison).
- Concluding Remarks. `Confrontation of Cosmological Theories with
ed. M.S. Longair (Reidel, Holland) p.359 (1974).
- Origin of the Magnetic Field and Relativistic Particles in the Crab Nebula.
MNRAS 167, 1 (1974) (with J.E. Gunn).
- Accretion onto Relativistic Objects. `Gravitational Radiation and
Gravitational Collapse', ed. C. De Witt - Morette (Reidel, Holland)
p. 194 (1974).
- Ionization of Cool HI Regions. Astron. and Astrophys. 30,
87 (1974) (with G. Steigman and B.Z. Kozlovsky).
- The Physics of Binary X-ray Sources. Proc. 16th Solvay Conference
(Brussels), p.97 (1974)
(also contributions on pp 425 - 8 and 489).
- Black Holes. Observatory 24, 168 (1974).
- A `Twin-Exhaust' Model for Double Radio Sources. MNRAS 169, 395
(1974) (with R.D. Blandford).
- Extragalactic Double Radio Sources - The Current Observational and
Theoretical Position. Contem. Phys. 16, 1
(1975) (with R.D. Blandford).
- Massive Black Holes in Extragalactic Radio Source Components? MNRAS 171, 53 (1975) (with W.C. Saslaw).
- Interrelations Between Cosmic Rays and Other Branches of Astrophysics.
`Research Goals for Cosmic Ray Astrophysics',
ed. V. Manno (ESRO) p. 39 (1975).
- Observational Effects of Black Holes. `Proc. 7th International
Conference on General Relativity and Gravitation, ed. G. Shaviv
(Wiley, N.Y.) p.203 (1975).
- Formation of Galaxies, Radio Sources and Related Problems.
`Galaxies', ed. G. Setti (Reidel, Holland) p.285 (1975).
- Quasars and Radio Galaxies. Ann. N.Y. Acad. Sci. 262,
- Expected Polarization Properties of Binary X-ray Sources. MNRAS 171, 457 (1975).
- X-rays from Neutron Stars Heated by Accretion. `Proc. 2nd IAU
European Assembly, Trieste: Mem. Soc. Astr. Ital. 45, 909
- Quasar Absorption Spectra: Radiative Interactions Between Absorbing
Clouds and the Origin of Redshift `Doublets'. MNRAS 171, 1P (1975).
- Potential Implications of X-ray Polarimetry of Binary Sources.
Ann. N.Y. Acad. Sci. 262, 1367 (1975).
- Evidence on Neutron Star Structure from Pulsars and Related Objects.
Astrophys. Sp. Sci. 39, 3 (1976).
- Accretion Processes in Close Binaries. In `Close Binary Systems',
ed. P.P. Eggleton, S. Mitton and J. Whelan (Reidel) 225 (1976).
- Progress and Prospects in High Energy Astrophysics. (H.P. Robertson
Memorial Lecture) Proc. Nat. Acad. Sci. 72, 4685 (1975).
- Accretion onto Compact Objects. `Physics and Astrophysics of Neutron
Stars and Black Holes', eds. R. Giacconi and R. Ruffini (North Holland)
(with A.P. Lightman and S. Shapiro).
- Tidal Capture Formation of Binary Systems and X-ray Sources in Globular
Clusters. MNRAS 172, 15P (1975)
(with A.C. Fabian and J.E. Pringle).
- A Theory of Galaxy Formation and Clustering. Astron. and Astrophys.
45, 365 (1975) (with J.R. Gott).
- Astrophysical Aspects of Black Holes. Proc. Acad. Lincei, 31, 67 (1976).
- X-ray Emission from Accretion onto White Dwarfs.
MNRAS 175, 43 (1976) (with A.C. Fabian and J.E. Pringle).
- Radio Source Models and the Nature of the Primary Energy Source.
In `Physics of non-thermal radio sources' ed. G. Setti (Reidel 1976).
- The Nucleus of Centaurus A. Nat 260, 683 (1976) (with
A.C. Fabian, D. Maccagni and W.R. Stoeger).
- Can cosmic clouds cause climatic catastrophes? Nat 261,
298 (1976) (with M.C. Begelman).
- Current status of double radio source theories. Comm. Astrophys.
Sp. Phys. 6, 112 (1976).
- Physical and Observational Cosmology. Proc. IMA Cosmology symposium
- Effects of massive central black holes on dense stellar systems. MNRAS
176, 633 (1976) (with J. Frank).
- Globular Clusters as a Source of X-ray Emission from the Neighbourhood of
M87. Nat 263, 301 (1976) (with A.C. Fabian and J.E. Pringle).
- Opacity-limited hierarchical fragmentation and the masses of protostars.
MNRAS 176, 483 (1976).
- Cyclotron emission from accreting magnetic white dwarfs. MNRAS 178, 501
(1977) (with A.R. Masters, A.C. Fabian and J.E. Pringle).
- Cooling, dynamics and fragmentation of massive gas clouds: clues to the
masses and radii of galaxies and clusters. MNRAS 179, 541
(1977) (with J.P. Ostriker).
- Neutron stars, black holes and cosmic X-ray sources. Phys. Blatter
32, 572 (1976)
- The `conventional' view of redshifts. Proc. IAU/CNRS Colloquium on
`Redshifts', ed. B. Westerlund, p.563 (1977).
- Sources of gravitational waves at low frequencies. Proc. Pavia
Symposium on `experimental gravitation', ed. B. Bertotti, p. 423
- Superluminal expansion in extragalactic radio sources. Nat 267,
211 (1977) (with R.D. Blandford and C. McKee).
- A tepid model for the early universe. Astr. Astrophys. 61,
705 (1977) (with B. Carr).
- Quasars and young galaxies (George Darwin Lecture) Q.J.R.A.S.
18, 429 (1977).
- A M Hercules: a highly magnetised accreting white dwarf. MNRAS 179,
9p, (1977) (with A.C. Fabian, J.E. Pringle and J.A.J. Whelan).
- A better way of searching for black hole explosions? Nat 266,
- Quasar theories. (invited lecture at 8th `Texas' conference)
Ann. N.Y. Acad. Sci. 302, 613 (1977).
- Cosmology and galaxy formation: `early' star formation? In `Evolution of Galaxies and Stellar Populations', ed. B.M. Tinsley, p.339
- Survival and disruption of galactic substructure. MNRAS 181,
37p (1977) (with S.M. Fall).
- Dissipative processes, galaxy formation and `early' star formation.
Physica Scripta 17, 371 (1978).
- Accretion and the quasar phenomenon. Physica Scripta 17,
- A qualitative study of cosmic fireballs and gamma-ray bursts.
MNRAS 183, 359 (1978) (with G. Cavallo).
- Extended and compact extragalactic radio sources: interpretation and
theory. Physica Scripta 17, 265 (1978) (with R.D. Blandford)
- The epoch of galaxy formation. In `Large-scale structure of the
universe', ed. Einasto and Longair (Reidel) (1978) (with B.J.T. Jones).
- Core condensation in heavy halos: a two-stage theory for galaxy
formation and clustering. MNRAS 183, 341 (1978)
(with S.D.M. White).
- Gravitational collapse in the real universe. Proc. 8th International
G.R.G. conference, ed. J. Wainwright) (1978).
- Predictions and strategies for deep X-ray surveys. MNRAS 185, 109
(1978) (with A.C. Fabian).
- The nuclei of nearby galaxies: evidence for massive black holes. In
`Nearby Galaxies' ed. E. Bekhausen and R. Wielebinsky (Reidel)
- The fate of dense stellar systems. MNRAS 185, 847 (1978)
(with M.C. Begelman).
- Growth and fate of inhomogeneities in big bang cosmology. In
`Observational Cosmology' (Proc. Saas-Fee School VIII),
- The M87 Jet: internal shocks in a plasma beam. MNRAS 184, 61p
- Quasars (Halley Lecture). Observatory 98, 210 (1978).
- Induced Compton scattering in pulsar winds. MNRAS 185, 297 (1978).
(with D. Wilson).
- Origin of the pregalactic microwave background. Nat 275,
- Comments on the radiation mechanism in Lacertids. In `B.L. Lac
Objects', ed. A.M. Wolfe (1978) (with R.D. Blandford) p.328.
- Extragalactic X-ray sources. In `Proc. IAU Symposium on X-ray
ed. W.A. Baity and L.E. Peterson, p.381 (1979) (with A.C. Fabian).
- The content of a typical HEAO B field |b|>10o. In `Proc. IAU Symposium on X-ray astronomy,
ed. W.A. Baity and L.E. Peterson p.479 (1979) (with A.C. Fabian).
- Relativistic jets and beams in radio galaxies. Nat 275,
- Pulsars, `bursters' and quasars. (Proceedings of 4th EPS general conference)
- The Ly/H/P ratio in the quasar PG 0026+129.
ApJ 226, L57 (1978)
(with J.A. Baldwin, M.S. Longair and M.A.C. Perryman).
- Neutrinos in astrophysics. In `Proc. CERN 25th Anniversary conference,
June 1979 p.135.
- Anthropic principle and the Physical World. Nat 278, 605
(1979) (with B.J. Carr).
- A twin-jet model for radio trails. Nat 279, 770 (1979)
(with R.D. Blandford and M.C. Begelman).
- SS 433: a double jet in action. MNRAS 187, 13P (1979)
(with A.C. Fabian).
- Einstein, gravitation and cosmology. (Tolansky memorial lecture)
Proc. RSA 127, 576 (1979).
- A model for SS 433: precessing jets in an ultraclose binary system.
MNRAS 189, 19P (with P.G. Martin).
- Some observational consequences of positron production by evaporating black
holes. A&A 81, 263 (1980) (with P. Okeke).
- Inter-relation between cosmic rays and other branches of astrophysics.
In Proc. ESA conference on cosmic rays (ed. D.E. Page) p.39.
- Observations of 3C 390.3 with IUE. MNRAS 187, 65P (1979)
(with G. Ferland, M.A.C. Perryman and M.S. Longair).
- `Concluding remarks'. In R.S. Symposium on Origin and early evolution
of galaxies., ed. W.H. McCrea and M.J. Rees (Phil. Trans. Roy. Soc.)
- Gravitational collapse and cosmology. Contemp. Phys. 21,
- X-ray emission from galactic nuclei. In `X-ray Astronomy',
ed. R. Giacconi and G. Setti.
- Size and shape of the Universe. Princeton Einstein Centennial Symp.,
ed. H. Woolf, p.291 (Addison-Wesley, Mass.).
- Inhomogeneity and entropy of the Universe: some puzzles. Physica
Scripta 21, 614 (1980).
- Observational status of black holes. In Proc. Roy. Soc., 368, 27 (1979).
- The contribution of young galaxies to the X-ray background.
ApJ 237, 647 (1980)
(with J. Bookbinder, J. Krolik, L. Cowie and J. Ostriker).
- Diffuse material, background radiation and the early universe.
In Physical Cosmology, ed. R. Balian, J. Audouze and D. Schramm,
- X-ray background: origin and implications. In Proc.
IAU Symposium 92, ed. G. Abell and P.J.E. Peebles, p.207.
- Spectral appearance of non-uniform gas at high z.
MNRAS 188, 791 (1979). (with C. Hogan).
- Categories of Extragalactic X-ray sources. In `X-ray Astronomy',
ed. R. Giacconi and G. Setti) p.363.
- The X-ray background as a probe of the matter distribution on large scales.
In `X-ray Astronomy, ed. R. Giacconi and G. Setti, p.377.
- Detailed Ultraviolet observations of the quasar 3C 273 with IUE. MNRAS 192,
561 (1980) (with M.H. Ulrich et al.).
- Massive black hole binaries in active galactic nuclei. Nat 287, 307 (1980)
(with M.C. Begelman and R.D. Blandford).
- Inhomogeneities from the Planck length to the Hubble radius. In `Quantum Gravity II', ed. R. Penrose et al., p.273 (OUP).
- Nuclei of Galaxies: the origin of plasma beams. In Proc. IAU/IUPAP
Symposium on `Origin of Cosmic Rays', ed. G. Setti, G. Spada and
A. Wolfendale (Reidel), p. 139 (1981).
- IUE observations of NGC 4151. In Proc. 2nd European IUE Conference,
ed. B. Fitton and M. Grewing, p. 47 (with A. Boksenberg et al.).
- Galaxy formation, clustering and the initial cosmological fluctuations.
In `Variability in Stars and Galaxies', ed. A. Noelds and
P. Ledoux, p. G.2.1.
- Our Universe and others. Q.J.R.A.S. 22, 109 (1981).
- Relativistic jet production and propagation in active galaxies.
Ann. N.Y. Acad. Sci. 375, 254 (1982)
(with M.C. Begelman and R.D. Blandford).
- Physical processes for X-ray emission in galactic nuclei.
Space Science Reviews 30, 87 (1981).
- Highly compact structures in galactic nuclei and quasars.
In `The importance of high resolution in astronomy',
ed. M.H. Ulrich (ESO publications).
- Ion supported tori and the origin of radio jets. Nat 295, 17 (1982)
(with M.C. Begelman, R.D. Blandford and S.L. Phinney).
- Mechanisms for jets. In `Extragalactic radio sources',
ed. D.S. Heeschen and C.M. Wade (Reidel), p.211 (1982).
- Hot plasmas in active galactic nuclei. In `Proc. Varenna Conference
on Plasma Astrophysics', (ESA SP 161), p.297 (1982).
- Production and propagation of jets. In `Proc. Varenna Conference on
Plasma Astrophysics', (ESA SP 161), p.267 (1982).
- Cosmology and particle physics. In `Lepton and Photon Interactions at
High Energies', ed. W Phiel, p.993 (1981).
- Radiative acceleration of astrophysical jets; line locking in SS 433. In
`Extragalactic Radio Sources', ed. D.S. Heeschen and C.M. Wade
(Reidel) (1982) (with M. Milgrom and P. Shapiro).
- Fundamental physics and cosmology - introductory survey. In
`Astrophysical Cosmology', ed. H.A. Bruck et al.p.3 (1982).
- Galaxy Formation, Clustering and the Hidden Mass. In
`Cosmology', ed. A.W. Wolfendale (Reidel) p.259 (1982)
(with A. Kashlinsky)
- The Nature of the Compact Source at the Galactic Centre.
In `The Galactic Centre', ed. G. Reigler and R.D. Blandford (AIP),
- Interpretation of the anisotropy in the cosmic microwave background.
Phil. Trans. R. Soc. 307, 97 (1982)
(with C. Hogan and N. Kaiser).
- `Supernovae': a survey of current research' (Reidel 1982) p.580
- Remarks on `Population III'. In `Astrophysical Cosmology'
ed. H. Bruck, G.V. Coyne and M.S. Longair. p.495 (1982).
- The role of proton cyclotron emission near accreting magnetic neutron stars.
J. Astron. Astrophys. 3, 413 (1982)
(with K.M.V. Apparao and S.M. Chitre).
- Cosmic jets. Sci. Am. (May 1982) (with R.D. Blandford and
- Limits from the timing of pulsars on the cosmic gravitational wave
background. MNRAS 203, 945 (1983) (with B. Bertotti and B.J. Carr).
- What the astrophysicist wants from the very early universe.
In `The Early Universe', ed. S. Siklos and S.W. Hawking (CUP)
- Galaxies and their nuclei: Bakerian Lecture.
Proc. Roy. Soc. A. 400, 183 (1985).
- Extragalactic sources of gravitational waves. In `Gravitational
Radiation', ed. N. Deruelle and T. Piran (North-Holland) p.297 (1983).
- Can pregalactic objects generate galaxies? MNRAS 206, 801
(1984) (with B.J. Carr).
- Unseen Mass. In Proc. IAU Symposium 104
`Early Evolution of the Universe and Its Present
ed. G. Abell and G. Chincarini (Reidel) p.299 (1983).
- On Population III star formation. In Proc. IAU Symposium 104
`Early Evolution of the Universe and Its Present
ed. G. Abell and G. Chincarini (Reidel) p.119. (1983).
- Formation of Population III stars and pregalactic evolution. MNRAS 205,
955 (1983) (with A. Kashlinsky).
- Theoretical problems raised by gamma-ray bursts and related phenomena.
In `Accreting Neutron Stars'. (MPI publication) ed. W. Brinkmann,
- Astrophysics, cosmology and high energy physics. In Proc. CERN
Physics School (1982) ed. A. Caton, p.281.
- Supercritical jets from a `cauldron'. In `Astrophysical Jets'
ed. A. Ferrari and A. Pacholczyk (Reidel),
p. 215 (1983) (with M.C. Begelman).
- How stable is our vacuum? Nat 302, 508 (1983) (with P. Hut).
- Acceleration processes in the Universe. In `The Challenge of
Ultra-high Energies' ed. J.D. Lawson and J. Mulvey, (Oxford) p.317
- Spectral and variability constraints on compact sources. MNRAS 205,
593 (1983) (with P.W. Guilbert and A.C. Fabian).
- Deuterium and Lithium from Population III remnants. In Formation and
Evolution of Large Scale Structures in the Universe', ed. J. Audouze and
J.T.T. Van (Reidel) p.271 (1984).
- Pregalactic activity, galaxy formation and hidden mass. In `Formation
and Evolution of Large Scale Structures in the Universe, ed. J. Audouze
J.T.T. Van (1984) (Reidel) p.237.
- Phenomena at the Galactic Centre: a massive black hole? In `The
Milky Way' Proc. IAU Symposium 107, ed. H. van Woerden et al.,
p. 379 (1985).
- Large numbers and ratios in astrophysics and cosmology. Phil. Trans. R.
Soc. A. 310, 311 (1983).
- Physics of relativistic jets on sub-milliarcsecond scales. In `Very
Long Baseline Interferometry', eds. R. Fanti, K. Kellermann and G. Setti
(Reidel) p.207, (1984).
- Galaxy Formation. Astronomische Mitt. 58, 57 (1983).
- How large were the first pregalactic objects? MNRAS 206,
315 (1984) (with B.J. Carr).
- The Cauldron at the core of SS 433, MNRAS 206, 209 (1984)
(with M.C. Begelman).
- Extragalactic gravitational collapse. In `Relativistic Astrophysics
and Cosmology', ed. E. Verdaguer and X. Fustero, (World Scientific
Publishers) p.3 (1984).
- Radio sources and galactic nuclei: models and problems. In
`Extragalactic Energetic Sources' (Indian Academy of Sciences, Bangalore)
ed. V.K. Kapahi, pp 53-87 (1985).
- The Universe from <10-36 sec to >1030 yrs. Current Science,
52, (1983) 443 & 509.
- Galactic nuclei and jets. In `Numerical Astrophysics', ed. J. Le Blanc,
J. Centrella and R.L. Bowers (Jones and Bartlett, California) p.69
- Concluding Comments: a cosmologist's viewpoint. Summing up lecture
at ESO/CERN Colloquium on Cosmology and Fundamental Physics,
ed. G. Setti and L. van Hove, p.423, (1983).
- Theory of Extragalactic radio sources. Rev. Mod. Phys. 56,
225 (1984) (with M.C. Begelman and R.D. Blandford).
- Clusters and their precursors. In `Clusters and groups of galaxies',
ed. F. Mardirossian, G. Giuricin and Mezzetti (Reidel) p.485 (1984).
- Black hole models for active galactic nuclei. Ann. Rev. Astr.
AstroPhys. 24, 471 (1984).
- `The constants of Physics' book published by Royal Society 1983,
co-editor with W.H. McCrea.
- Reverse stellar evolution, quasars and low mass X-ray binaries.
Nat 309, 331 (1984) (with F. Verbunt and A.C. Fabian.)
- Gravitational interactions of cosmic strings. Nat 311, 109 (1984)
(with C. Hogan).
- Formation of galaxies and large scale structure with cold dark matter.
Nat 311, 517 (1984) (with G. Blumenthal, S. Faber and J. Primack).
- A Theory for the origin of globular clusters. ApJ 298, 18 (1985)
(with S.M. Fall).
- OVIII resonant absorption in PKS 2155-304: a hot wind
ApJ 295, 104 (1985)
(with J. Krolik, J. Kallman and A.C. Fabian).
- Is the Universe flat? J. Astron. Astrophys. 5, 331 (1984).
- Neutrino masses and galaxy formation. Proc. 6th EPS general
conference (Prague), p.223 (1984)
- Some comments on the physics of active galactic nuclei. In X-ray
and UV emission from quasars and AGNs', ed. W. Brinkmann and J. Trümper
- Jets and Galactic Nuclei. In `Highlights of Modern Astrophysics: Concepts and Controversies, ed. S. Shapiro and S. Teukolsky (Wiley, N.Y.),
p. 163 (1986).
- Mechanisms for biased galaxy formation. MNRAS 213, 75P (1985).
- Some theoretical aspects of AGNs. In `Structure and Evolution of
Active Galactic Nuclei, ed. G. Giuricin et al.(Reidel) p.457 (1986).
- Deuterium abundance and population III remnants. MNRAS 215, 53P
(1985) (with S. Ramadurai).
- Aspects of galaxy formation. In `Cosmogonic Processes', ed.
W.D. Arnett et al.(VNU, Amsterdam) p.44 (1986).
- Pregalactic evolution in cosmologies with `cold dark matter'. MNRAS 221, 53 (1986) (with H.M.P. Couchman).
- Possible constituents of halos. In `Dark Matter in the Universe,
ed. G. Knapp and J. Kormendy (Reidel) p. 395 (1986).
- The radiative acceleration of astrophysical jets: line-locking
in SS 433 Astrophys. J. Suppl. 60, 393 (1986)
(with S. Shapiro and M. Milgrom).
- Cosmic Jets. Proc. XIX International Cosmic Ray Conference 1985,
ed. F. Jones et al.(invited paper) Vol. 9, p.1
- Lyman Quasar absorption lines in quasar spectra: evidence for
gravitationally confined gas in dark `minihalos'. MNRAS 218,
- Black holes in our galaxy. In `High energy phenomena around compact
stars', ed. F. Pacini (Reidel, Dordrecht) p.279. (1986).
- What is the dark matter in galactic halos and clusters? Phil. Trans. R.
Soc. 320, 573 (1986).
- Introductory Lecture. In `Quasars': Proc. IAU Symposium 117,
ed. G. Swarup (Reidel, Dordrecht) p.1 (1986).
- Thermal and dynamical effects of pair production on two-temperature
accretion flows. ApJ 313, 689 (1987)
(with M.C. Begelman and M. Sikora).
- On double clusters and gravitational lenses. Nat 323, 514
(1986) (with C.S. Crawford and A.C. Fabian).
- Baryonic dark matter candidates. In Proc. 2nd ESO/CERN conference,
ed. G. Setti and L. van Hove), p.227 (1987).
- Gravitational lensing by dark galactic halos. MNRAS 224, 283
(1987) (with K. Subramanian and S.M. Chitre).
- Baryon concentration in string wakes
; implications for
galaxy formation and large-scale structure. MNRAS 222, 27P (1986).
- Exotic relics of the early universe: non-baryonic dark matter and
strings. Proc. International Conference on Mathematical Physics,
ed. J.N. Islam (World Scientific Publishers) (1987).
- Biasing and suppression of galaxy formation. In `Nearly Normal Galaxies
from the Planck Time to the Present', ed. S. Faber, Springer-Verlag 255
- Astronomical constraints on a string-dominated universe. MNRAS 227, 453 (1987) (with J.R. Gott).
- The origin of globular clusters. Proc. IAU Symposium on
Globular Clusters, eds. J. Grindlay and A.G. Davis Phillips,
(Reidel) (invited paper) p.323 (1988) (with S.M. Fall).
- The origin and cosmogonic implications of seed magnetic fields.
Contribution to Festschrift for V.L. Ginzburg, eds. L.V. Keldysh
V.Y. Fainberg. (1987).
- Constraints on voids at high redshifts from Lyman Alpha absorbers.
MNRAS 224, 13P (1987) (with R.F. Carswell).
- The emergence of structure in the Universe: galaxy formation and dark
matter. In `300 Years of Gravitation', eds. S.W. Hawking and W.Israel
- Physical mechanisms for biased galaxy formation. Nat 326, 455
(1987) (with A. Dekel).
- Active galactic nuclei: ten theoretical problems. In `Physical
processes in comets, stars and active galaxies' ed. W. Hillebrandt
et al.Springer-Verlag, p.166 (1987).
- The origin and cosmogonic implications of seed magnetic fields.
Q.J.R.A.S. 28, 197 (1987).
- The central object: some comments and speculations. In `Galactic
Centre', eds. D. Backer and R. Genzel (AIP), p.71 (1987).
- Effects of electron-positron pair opacity for spherical accretion onto
black holes. ApJ Lett. 315, L113 (1987)
(with A.P. Lightman and A.A. Zdziarski).
- Active galactic nuclei. In Proc. 13th Texas Conference, ed. M. Ulmer,
(World Scientific) p.329 (1987).
- The link between tidal interaction and nuclear activity in galaxies.
ApJ 328, 103 (1988) (with D.N.C. Lin and J.E. Pringle).
- An interacting binary scenario for SN 1987A. Nat 328,
323 (1987) (with A.C. Fabian,
E.P.J. van den Heuvel and J. van Paradijs).
- A relativistic jet from SN 1987A? Nat 328, 207 (1987).
- Mechanisms for outflow in AGNs. In `Outflow in Stars and Galactic
Nuclei', eds. L. Bianchi and R. Gilmozzi (Kluwer), p.163 (1988).
- Continuum emission in AGNs: a theoretical perspective.
In `Emission lines from quasars and active galactic nuclei'
ed. P. Gondhalekar, p.1 (1988).
- Magnetic confinement of emission line clouds in galactic nuclei.
MNRAS 228, 47P (1987).
- Absorption lines and galaxy formation. In `Quasar Absorption Lines',
eds. C. Blades, D. Turnshek and C.A. Norman (CUP), p.107 (1988).
- Biased galaxy formation and dark matter. In Proc. IAU Symposium 130
on `Large Scale Structure in the Universe, ed. J. Audouze et al.,
(Reidel) p.437 (1988).
- Cold material in non-thermal sources. MNRAS 233, 475
(1988) (with P.W. Guilbert).
- Cosmogonic implications of the first quasars. In `The
Post-Recombination Universe', ed. A. Lasenby and N. Kaiser
(Reidel) p.101 (1988).
- High redshift quasars in the cold dark matter cosmogony. MNRAS 230,
5P (1988) (with G. Efstathiou).
- Radiative equilibrium of high density clouds, with application to AGN
continuum. ApJ 332, 141 (1988) (with G. Ferland).
- Tidal disruption of stars by black holes of 106 - 108 solar masses in nearby galaxies. Nat 333, 523 (1988).
- Quasars as probes of gas in extended protogalaxies. MNRAS 231,
- Axion Miniclusters. Phys. Lett. B. 205, 228
(1988) (with C.J. Hogan).
- The universe at and the first quasars. Yamada
conference XX on `Big Bang, Active Galactic Nuclei and Supernova'
eds. S. Hayakawa and K. Sato (Universal Academy Press Inc., Tokyo)
- On the variability of the X-ray emission from SN 1987A. Nat 335, 50 (1988) (with A.C. Fabian).
- Clearings in the Lyman forests. ApJ 345, 52 (1989)
(with I. Kovner).
- Column density distribution of the Lyman forest - evidence for
the minihalo model. MNRAS 236, 21P
(1989) (with S. Ikeuchi and I. Murakami).
- Galaxy formation and dark matter. Highlights of Astronomy,
IAU, ed. D. McNally
8 pp45-64 (1989).
- Detection of iron features in the spectrum of the soft excess Seyfert 1
galaxy MCG-6-30-15. MNRAS 236, 39P
(1989) (with K. Nandra, K.A. Pounds and A.C. Fabian).
- X-ray fluorescence from the inner disc in Cygnus X-1. MNRAS 238,
(with A.C. Fabian, L. Stella and N.E. White).
- Early evolution of galaxies. In `Galactic Evolution'
eds. J.E. Beckman and B.E.J. Pagel (CUP) p. 1 (1989).
- Small dense broad-line regions in active nuclei. ApJ
347, 640 (1989) (with G. Ferland and H. Netzer).
- Galaxies, galactic nuclei and dark matter. In Stromgren Memorial
Volume eds. B. Gustaffson and
P.E. Nissen Proc. Royal Danish Academy 42:4 195 (1990).
- Number density evolution of Lyman-alpha clouds: evolving minihalos.
Proc. Astr. Soc. Japan 41, 1095 (1989)
(with S. Ikeuchi and I. Murakami).
- Gravitational radiation rocket effects and galactic structure. Comm.
Astrophys. 14, 165 (1989) (with I. Redmount).
- The radio/optical alignment of high-z radio galaxies: triggering of star formation in radio lobes. MNRAS
239, 1P (1989).
- Radiative shocks inside protogalaxies and the origin of globular clusters.
ApJ (with H. Kang, P.R. Shapiro and S.M. Fall), 363, 488 (1990).
- The age of high redshift radio galaxies. MNRAS 242, 570 (1990)
(with M. Bithell).
- The 21-cm line at high redshift: a diagnostic for the origin of
large-scale structure. MNRAS 247, 510 (1990) (with D. Scott).
- Are there massive black holes in galactic nuclei? In `Baryonic Dark
Matter' eds. G. Gilmore and D. Lynden-Bell (Kluwer, Amsterdam) p.179.
- Is there a massive black hole in every galaxy? In `Reviews in Modern
Astronomy' 2 (Springer, Berlin).
- The extended narrow-line region of NGC 4151 I - Emission line
ratios and their implications. A&A
236, 53 (1990) (with M.V. Penston et al.).
- ``Dead quasars'' in nearby galaxies. Science 247, 817
- Reflection-dominated hard X-ray sources and the X-ray background.
MNRAS 242, 14p (1990) (with A.C. Fabian, I.M. George and S. Miyoshi).
- Particle physics in astrophysics and cosmology. Nucl. Phys. B.
(proc. Suppl.) 16, 3 (1990).
- The `image universe' effect on cosmic strings. Phys. Lett. B
242, 29 (1990)
(with C. Hogan and T. Vachaspati).
- Dark matter deay, reionization, and microwave background anisotropies.
Astron. Astrophys. 250, 295
(1991) (with D.W. Sciama and D. Scott).
- Dark matter and the emergence of structure in the universe. In
`Frontiers in Physics, High Technology and Mathematics'
(ICTP Trieste 25 Anniversary Conference) p.218 (World Scientific).
- Flywheels: rapidly spinning magnetised neutron stars in spherical
accretion. MNRAS 251, 555 (1991) (with S. Mineshige and A.C. Fabian).
- Star-disc interactions near massive black holes. MNRAS
250, 505 (1991)
(with D. Syer and C.J. Clarke).
- Acceleration by synchrotron absorption and superluminal sources.
ApJ 362 L1 (1990) (with G. Ghisellini, G. Bodo and E. Trussoni).
- Some comments on the epoch of galaxy formation. Physica Scripta
T36, 97 (1991).
- Probes of the high-redshift universe.
In Primordial Nucleosynthesis and Evolution of Early Universe,
ed. K. Sato and J. Audouze (Kluwer) p487.
- Physical state of the intergalactic medium. Nat 350, 685
(with X. Barcons and A.C. Fabian).
- Dynamical effects of the cosmological constant. MNRAS
251, 128 (1991)
(with O. Lahav, P. Lilje and J. Primack).
- High-z quasars and galaxy formation. In
Physics of Active Galactic Nuclei
eds W. Duschl and S. Wagner Springer, pp 662-761 (1992)
- The invisible cosmological constant. In Testing the Inflationary
Universe, p 375 ed. T. Shanks et al., Kluwer.
- The evolution of a supernova remnant in a strongly magnetised interstellar
medium. MNRAS 252, 82 (1991) (with F. M. Insertis).
- The origin of the planet orbiting PSR1829-10.
Nat 352, 783 (1991)
(with P. Podsiadlowski and J.E. Pringle).
- Dense thin clouds in the central regions of active galactic nuclei.
MNRAS 255, 419 (1992) (with A. Celotti and A.C. Fabian).
- On dwarf elliptical galaxies and the faint blue counts.
MNRAS 255, 346 (1992) (with A. Babul).
- Clusters of galaxies: an introductory survey. In
`Clusters and Superclusters of Galaxies' ed. A.C. Fabian
- The impact of gravitating lenses on astrophysics. In `Gravitational
Lenses' ed. S. Refsdal et al.p1 (Springer).
- Neutron stars and planet-mass companions. MNRAS 254,
p 19 (1992)
(with I.R. Stevens and P. Podsiadlowski).
- The standard model and some new directions. In Testing the AGN
paradigm, ed. S. Holt, p1, (AIP) (with R.D. Blandford).
- The central engine of AGNs and its cosmological evolution.
In X-ray emission from AGN and the cosmic X-ray background,
ed. W. Brinkmann (MPI Publications).
- Tests for the minihalo model of the Lyman alpha forest.
MNRAS 260, 617 (1993) (with J. Miralda-Escudé).
- Tidal heating and mass loss in neutron star binaries: implications for
gamma-ray burst models.
ApJ 397 570 (1992) (with P. Mészáros).
- High entropy fireballs and jets in gamma-ray sources.
MNRAS 257, 29P (1992) (with P. Mészáros).
- Relativistic fireballs: energy conversion and timescales.
MNRAS 258, 41P (1992) (with P. Mészáros).
- Concluding Summary. In Planets around Pulsars, ed. J.A. Phillips et al.
(ASP Conference Series 1993).
- Quasars: progress and prospects. In The renaissance in general
relativity, ed. G. Ellis et al. CUP (1993), p175.
- Relativistic fireballs and their impact on external matter: models for
cosmological gamma-ray bursts. ApJ
405, 278 (1993) (with P. Mészáros).
- Causes and effects of the first quasars. Proc. Nat. Acad. Sci..
90, 4840 (1993).
- Constraints on massive black holes as dark matter candidates.
MNRAS 259, 27P (1992) (with P. Hut).
- Anisotropic induced Compton scattering:
constraints on models of active galactic nuclei MNRAS 262, 603 (1993).
(with P. Coppi and R.D. Blandford).
- Quasars as probes of galaxy formation. In First Light in the
Universe, ed. B. Rocca-Volmerange et al.p 203 (Editions Frontieres)
- High Lorentz-factor e+ - e- jets in gamma-ray burst sources.
In Compton Gamma Ray Observatory ed. M. Friedlander et al.
p 1015 (AIP 1993)
(with P. Mészáros).
- The impact of relativistic fireballs on an external medium: a new model
for ``cosmological'' gamma-ray burst emission.
In Compton Gamma Ray Observatory ed. M. Friedlander et al.
p 987 (AIP 1993)
(with P. Mészáros)
- Comptonization of external radiation in blazars. (
In Compton Gamma Ray Observatory ed. M. Friedlander et al.
p 598 (AIP 1993)
M. Sikora and M.C. Begelman).
- Formation of nuclei in newly-formed galaxies and the evolution of the quasar
MNRAS 263, 168 (1993) (with M. G. Haehnelt)
- Relativistically expanding pair plasmas as bursting sources of source
gamma-rays. Proc. 4th International Toki conference on Plasma Physics
and Controlled Fusion, ESA SP-351 (1993) (with P. Mészáros).
- Concluding Summary. Proc. Texas/PASCOS conference
(Proc. N.Y. Academic Sci.) 688, 439 (1993).
- Gas dynamics of relativistically expanding gamma-ray burst sources: kinematics,
energetics, magnetic fields and efficiency. ApJ 415, 181
(with P. Mészáros and P. Laguna).
- Comptonization of diffuse ambient radiation by a relativistic jet:
the source of gamma rays from blazars? ApJ 421, 153-162 (1994)
(with M. Sikora and M.C. Begelman).
- Understanding the high-redshift universe: progress, hype and prospects.
QJRAS, 34, 279 (1993).
- The distribution of minihalos in cold dark matter cosmogony.
264, 705 (1993)
(with H.J. Mo and J. Miralda-Escudé)
- Reionization and thermal evolution of a photoionized intergalactic medium.
266, 343 (1994) (with J. Miralda-Escudé)
- OSSE observations of the bright Seyfert I galaxy IC 4329A ApJ
416, L57 (1993) (with A.C. Fabian et al.)
- Conference Summary. The Background Radiation, ed. D. Calzetti
et al. p259
- Binary black hole in a dense star cluster. Astron. Astrophys.
283, 301 (1994)
(with A.G. Polnarev).
- Conference Summary. In Evolution of the Universe and its
ed K. Sato, Univ. Acad. Press, Tokyo, p 337 (1994).
- Gamma-ray bursts from blast waves around galactic neutron stars, MNRAS
265, L13 (1993)
(with M.C. Begelman and P. Mészáros)
- Origin of the seed magnetic field for a galactic dynamo. In
Cosmical Magnetism, ed. D. Lynden-Bell (Kluwer, 1994) p155.
- Gamma-ray bursts: multiwaveband spectral predictions for blast wave models.
ApJ 418, L59 (1993) (with P. Mészáros).
- from velocities in voids. ApJ
422, L1 (1994) (with A. Dekel).
- Observable effects of tidally-disrupted stars. In Nuclei of Normal Galaxies,
ed. R. Genzel and A. Harris, p453 (Kluwer) 1994.
- Massive black holes and light element nucleosynthesis in a baryonic universe.
ApJ 438, 40 (1995) (with N.Y. Gnedin and J.P. Ostriker).
- Models for variability in AGNs. In
Multi-Wavelength Continuum Emission of AGN eds. J. Corvousier and A. Blecha (Kluwer, 1994) p239.
- Shock models and O, X, signatures of gamma-ray burst sources.
In Gamma Ray Bursts
ed. G. Fishman et al.AIP No. 307, p 505 (1994) (with P. Mészáros).
- Why ``galactic'' gamma-ray bursts might depend on environment: blast waves
around neutron stars. In Gamma Ray Bursts, ed. G. Fishman
et al.AIP No. 307, p 605 (1994) (with M. C. Begelman and
- RULER: an instrument to measure gamma-ray burster distances. In
Gamma Ray Bursts, ed G. Fishman et al.AIP No. 309, p 665 (1994)
(with A. Owens et al.)
- Radiative excitation of molecules near powerful compact radio sources.
(with P.R. Maloney and M.C. Begelman).
- Spectral properties of blast wave models of gamma-ray burst sources.
ApJ 432, 181 (1994) (with P. Mészáros and H. Papathanassiou).
- The emergence of structure in the universe. Nuovo Cimento
107A, 1045 (1994).
- Energetic and radiative constraints on highly relativistic jets.
ApJ 429, L57 (1994) (with M.C. Begelman and M. Sikora).
- The fate of Thorne-Zytkow objects. In The Evolution of X-ray Binaries''
ed S. Holt and C. Day (AIP) p403 (1994) (with P. Podsiadlowski and R.C. Cannon).
- Supermassive black holes with stellar companions.
In The Evolution of X-ray Binaries ed. S. Holt and C. Day (AIP)
(with P. Podsiadlowski).
- Joint ROSAT-Compton GRO observations of X-ray Bright Seyfert Galaxy
IC4329A, ApJ 438, 672 (1995) (with G.M. Madejski et al.).
- Models of the central X-ray/gamma-ray source in IC4329A, MNRAS 269, L55 (1994)
(with A.A. Zdziarski et al.).
- Quasars, bursts and relativistic objects. QJRAS 35, 391 (1994).
- Unsteady outflow models of cosmological gamma-ray bursts.
ApJ 430, L93 (1994) (with P. Mészáros).
- Delayed GeV emission from cosmological gamma-ray bursts, MNRAS
269, L41 (1994) (with P. Mészáros).
- Perspectives in astrophysical cosmology. (Text of Lezione Lincee) (CUP
- Aspects of early galactic evolution, in ``Formation of Galaxies'' eds
C. Munoz-Tunon and F. Sanchez p503 (CUP 1995)
- Dark matter and galactic nuclei: progress and prospects, in
Perspectives on high energy physics and cosmology, ed.
A Gonzalez-Arroyo and C Lopez (World Scientific) p 117 (1994)
- Gamma-ray bursts and the structure of the Galactic Halo, MNRAS 273, 755 (1995) (with P. Podsiadlowski and M. Ruderman)
- AGNs: demography and remnants, in ``Highlights of Astronomy''
ed. I. Appenzeller, p.559, Kluwer (1996).
- Background radiation: probes and future tests. In ``Examining the big
diffuse background radiations'' eds. M. Kafatos and Y. Kondo (Kluwer 1996) p389-398
- Evolution and final fate of massive Thorne-Zytkow objects, MNRAS
274, 485 (1995) (with P. Podsiadlowski and R. Cannon).
- Introductory survey. In ``Dark Matter'' ed. S. Holt and C. Bennett,
p3 (AIP conference proceedings, 1995).
- Nucleosynthesis constraints on defect-mediated electroweak baryogenesis,
Phys. Lett. B 349, 329 (1995)
(with R. Brandenburger and A.C. Davies).
- Gamma ray bursts and the structure of the Galactic Halo.
Ann. NY Acad. Sci. 759, 283 (1995)
(with P Podsiadlowski and M Ruderman).
- Sizes and dynamics of the Lyman forest clouds, in
QSO Absorption Lines, ed. G. Meylan, p.419 (Springer, 1995).
- Galaxy formation and quasars: progress and prospects. In The Universe at Large, ed. G. Munch et al. pp 311-342 (CUP) (1997).
- Quasars. In Unsolved Problems in Astrophysics ed. J.N. Bahcall
and J.P. Ostriker (Princeton UP) pp. 181-195 (1997).
- What quasars tell us about galactic evolution. In
New Light on Galactic Evolution, eds. R. Bender and R. L. Davies (Kluwer) p303 (1996).
- The accretion luminosity of a massive black hole in an elliptical galaxy,
MNRAS, 277, L55 (1995) (with A.C. Fabian).
- H2 cooling of primordial gas triggered by UV irradiation. ApJ 467, 522 (1996)
(with Z. Haiman and A. Loeb)
- Concluding remarks: gamma ray bursts. PASP 107, 1176 (1995)
- Galactic nuclei in ``Gravitational Dynamics'', ed O. Lahav
et al. (CUP, 1996) p 103.
- How small were the first cosmological objects? ApJ 474, 1 (1997) (with M. Tegmark et al.)
- 21cm tomography from warm IGM at high redshifts. ApJ 475, 429 (1997) (with P. Madau
and A. Meiksin)
- The matter content of the jet in M87: evidence for an electron-positron jet.
MNRAS 282, 873 (1996) (with C.S. Reynolds, A.C. Fabian and A. Celotti).
- Introductory survey. In ``Cosmological Constant and the Evolution of
the Universe'' ed. K. Sato et al.(Universal Academic Press, Inc. 1996)
- Gamma-ray bursts: a challenge to relativistic astrophysics. In
``Relativistic Astrophysics'' eds. B. Jones and D. Markowic (CUP) pp 251-259 (1997).
- Physical constraints on sizes of dense clouds in central magnetospheres
of active galactic nuclei. MNRAS 283, 1361 (1996)
(with Z. Kuncic and E. Blackman).
- Capture of stellar mass compact objects by massive black holes in galactic cusps. MNRAS 284, 318 (1997) (with S. Sigurdsson).
- Dense thin clouds and reprocessed radiation in the central regions
of active galactic nuclei. MNRAS 284, 717 (1997) (with Z. Kuncic and A. Celotti).
- Destruction of molecular hydrogen during cosmological reionization.
ApJ 476, 458 (1997) (with Z. Haiman and A. Loeb).
- Optical and long wavelength afterglow from gamma-ray bursts.
ApJ 476, 232 (1997) (with P. Meszáros).
- The universe at z>5: where and how did the ``dark age'' end?
In ``HST and the High Redshift Universe'', ed. N. Tanvir et al.
pp 115-120 (World Scientific) (1997).
- Introduction: the state of modern cosmology. In ``Critical Dialogues
in Cosmology'' ed N. Turok pp 1-8 (World Scientific) (1997).
- Poynting jets from black holes and cosmological GRBs, ApJ 482,
(with P. Mészáros).
- Black holes in galactic nuclei. Reviews in Modern Astronomy, 10, 179-190 (1997).
- Gravitational waves from galactic centres? Classical and Quantum Gravity
14, 1411-1415 (1997).
- High redshift supernovae and the metal-poor halo stars. ApJ(Lett) 478, L57 (1997) (with J. Miralda Escudé).
- Pregalactic history, population III and baryonic dark matter. In
``Identifying Dark Matter'', ed. N. Spooner (World Scientific) p. 28 (1997)
- Astrophysical evidence for black holes. In ``Black Holes and Relativistic Stars'', ed. R. Wald pp 83-105 (Chicago U.P.) (1997).
- Thermal material in relativistic jets, MNRAS
293, 288 (1998) (with A. Celotti, Z. Kuncic and J. Wardle).
- Gamma-ray bursts: challenges to relativistic astrophysics. In Proc. 18th ``Texas'' Symposium, ed. A. Olinto et al.(World Scientific) pp34-47 (1998).
- Limits from rapid TeV variability of Mk 421, MNRAS 293, 239 (1998) (with
A. Celotti and A.C. Fabian).
- Extreme lensing by machos: probing the dark matter in nearby galaxies and clusters. ApJ(Lett) (in press) (with E. Waxman and A. Aragon).
- Shocked by GRB 970228: the afterglow of a relativistic blast wave.
MNRAS 288, L51 (1997) (with R.A.M.J. Wijers and P. Mészáros).
- The universe at z>5: when and how did the `dark age' end? Proc. Nat. Acad. Sci. 95, 47-52 (1998).
- Probing the cosmic `dark ages' with the VLT. Festschrift for R. Giacconi, ed. A. Stella (World Scientific) (in press).
- Searching for the earliest galaxies using the Gunn-Peterson trough.
ApJ 497, 21 (1998) (with J. Miralda-Escude).
- Probing the end of the `dark age'. In ``Structure and Evolution of the IGM'' (ed. P. Petitjean and S Charlot) pp 19-26 (Edition Frontieres) (1998).
- Why is the CMB fluctuation level ~10-5? ApJ
499, 526-32 (1998) (with M. Tegmark).
- Quasars and galaxy formation. Astr. Astrophys. 331, L1
(1998) (with J. Silk).
- Viewing angle and environmental effects in GRBs: sources of afterglow diversity. ApJ 499, 301-308 (1998) (with P. Mészáros and R. Wijers).
- Stars and stellar systems at z>5: implications for structure formation and nucleosynthesis. Space Science Reviews 84, 43 (1998).
- Refreshed shocks and afterglow longevity in GRB. ApJ
496, L1 (1998) (with P. Mészáros).
- High redshift galaxies, their active nuclei, and central black holes.
MNRAS 300, 817 (1998) (with M. Haehnelt and P. Natarajan).
- Multiwavelength afterglows in Gamma-Ray Bursts: Refreshed Shock and Jet Effects.
ApJ 503, 314 (1998) (with A. Panaitescu and P. Mészáros)
- What can we learn from bursts and afterglows? Nuclear Phys. B. Supp.
69, 681-685 (1998).
- Magnetic fields and multiphase gas in AGN. In ``Accretion Discs'' ed
M Abramowicz et al.(CUP, 1998) pp 196-201 (with A. Celotti)
- Spectral features from ultrarelativistic ions in gamma-ray bursts. ApJ
502 L105 (1998) (with P. Mészáros)
- The large-scale smoothness of our Universe
Nat 394, 225 (1999) (with K. Wu and O. Lahav)
- The edge of a gamma-ray burst afterglow. MNRAS 299, L10 (1998) (with P
- Probing the `Dark Age' with NGST. In ``The NGST: science drivers and technological challenges' (ESA publications).
- Energetics and beaming of gamma ray burst triggers. New Astronomy,
4, 303-312 (1999)
(with P. Mészáros and R Wijers)
- Reprocessing of radiation by multiphase gas in low-luminosity accretion flows.
MNRAS 305, L41-L44 (1999) (with A Celotti)
- Radiative transfer in a clumpy universe III: the nature of
cosmological ionization sources. ApJ 514, 648 (1999) (with P. Madau and F.
- Strong observational constraints on advection-dominated accretion in the cores of elliptical galaxies. MNRAS 305, 492 (1999) (with T. Di Matteo et al.)
- Reionization of the inhomogeneous universe. ApJ 530, 1-16 (2000)
(with J. Miralda-Escudé and M. Haehnelt)
- Status of models for gamma-ray bursts. Physics Scripta T85, 267-273 (2000).
- The end of the dark age. In ``After the Dark Ages'' ed S. Holt and E. Smith (AIP, 1999).
- Some Comments on triggers, energetics and beaming. Astron. Astrophys. Supp.
138, 491 (1999).
- GRB 990123: reverse and internal shock flashes and late afterglow behaviour. MNRAS 306, L39 (1999) (with P Mészáros)
- The distribution of supermassive black holes in the nuclei of nearby galaxies. MNRAS 308, 77-81 (1999)
(with A. Cattaneo and M. Haehnelt)
- Radio signatures of HI at high redshifts: mapping the end of the "dark
ApJ 528, 597-610 (2000) (with P. Tozzi, P. Madau and A. Meiksin)
- The radiative feedback of the first cosmological objects. ApJ 534, 11-27 (2000)
(with T. Abel and Z. Haiman)
- A review of gamma-ray bursts. Nucl. Phys. A663, 42-55 (2000).
- Gamma-ray bursts. Phil. Trans. Roy. Soc. 358, 853-867 (2000)
- The dark ages. Astr. Astrophys. Supp. (in press)
- Introductory Lecture in Status of Inflationary Cosmology (ed M. Turner) (Chicago U P. in press)
- Steep Slopes and preferred breaks in GRB spectra: the role of photospheres and Comptonisation. ApJ 530, 292-298 (2000) (with P. Mészáros )
- Gamma Ray Burst Mechanisms. In "Supernovae and gamma ray bursts" ed M. Livio (CUP in press)
- Early X-ray/UV line signatures of GRB progenitors and hypernovae. ApJ
534, 581-586 (2000) (with C. Weth, P. Mészáros and T. Kallman)
- Compton dragged gamma-ray bursts associated with supernovae. ApJ
529, L17 (2000) (with D. Lazzati, G. Ghisellini and A. Celotti)
- Compton echoes from gamma-ray bursts. ApJ
541, 712-719 (2000) (with P. Madau & R.D. Blandford)
- Introductory lecture. Proc. NATO ASI on Cosmology, ed R. Crittenden et al.(Kluwer)
- The ``first light'' Phil. Trans. Roy. Soc. 358, 1988-1998 (2000).
- The first light in the universe: what ended the dark ages? Physics Reports. Physics Reports 333, 203-214 (2000).
- Supermassive black holes: their formation and their prospects as probes of relativistic gravity. In ``Stellar and Supermassive Black Holes'' ed L. Kaper et al.(Springer-Verlag) pp351-63 (2001)
- Compton dragged gamma-ray bursts: the spectrum. MNRAS 316, L45-L49 (2000) (with G. Ghisellini, D. Lazzati & A. Celotti)
- Multi-GeV Neutrinos from internal dissipation in GRB Fireballs. ApJ 541 L5-L8 (with P. Mészáros ).
- The Earliest Luminous Sources and the Damping Wing of the Gunn-Peterson Trough.
ApJ 542, L69-L73 (2000) (With P. Madau).
- HeII recombination lines from the first luminous objects.
ApJ 553, 730 (2001)
(With S. Peng Oh & Z. Haiman.)
- Fe K emissions from a decaying magnetar model of GRB.
ApJ 545, L73 (2000) (With P. Mészáros )
- Early metal enrichment of the intergalactic medium by pregalactic outflows.
ApJ 555, 92 (2001) (With A. Ferrara & P. Madau.)
- Magnetic fields and multiphase gas in AGN. In Theory of Black Hole Accretion Discs ed. M.A. Abramowicz et al.), pp. 196-202. CUP (1999) (with A. Celotti).
- Magnetic Fields in the Early Universe. Highlights of Astronomy ed. H. Rickman, Vol. 12, pp. 727-728 (2002).
- e+- pair cascades and precursors in gamma-ray bursts. ApJ 554, 660 (2001) (with P. Mészáros and E Ramirez-Ruiz).
- Concluding Perspective in New Cosmological Data and the Values of the Fundamental Parameters, ed. A. Lasenby & A. Wilkinson (ASP publ.) (in press).
- Why AGN studies need higher resolution in High Angular Resolution in Astronomy, ed. R Schilizzi et al. (ASP publ.) (in press)
- Piecing Together the Biggest Puzzle of All. Science 290, 1909 (2000)
- Quiescent times in gamma-ray bursts: II. Dormant periods in the central engine? MNRAS (2001) 324, 1147 (with E. Ramirez-Ruiz & A. Merloni).
- Extended Lyman emission around young quasars: a constraint on galaxy formation. ApJ 556, 87 (2001) (with Z. Haiman)
- Massive black holes as population III remnants. ApJ
551, 27 (2001) (with P. Madau)
- Collapsar jets, bubbles and Fe lines. ApJ 556, 37 (2001) (with P. Mészáros)
- Radio Foregrounds for the 21 cm Tomography of the Neutral IGM at high redshifts. ApJ 564, 576-580 (2002) (with T. Di Matteo, R. Perna & T. Abel). astro-ph/0109241
- Afterglow light curves, viewing angle and the jet structure of gamma-ray bursts. MNRAS
332, 945-950 (2002) (with E Rossi and D Lazzati)
- Formation and Growth of Supermassive Black Holes. In Lighthouses of the Universe, ed. R Sunyaev
Lighthouses of the Universe: The Most Luminous Celestial Objects and Their Use for Cosmology Proceedings of the MPA/ESO p. 345
- Do Globular Clusters time the Universe? New Astronomy (submitted) (with O Lahav & O Gnedin)
- Iron K Lines from Gamma Ray Bursts. ApJ 593, 946 (2003)
(with T R Kallman & P Mészáros)
- Soft X-ray emission lines in the early afterglow of gamma-ray bursts.
ApJ 572, L57-L60 (2002) (with D Lazzati & E Ramirez-Ruiz)
- Gamma-Ray Burst Afterglow emission with a decaying magnetic field. MNRAS 339, 881-886 (2003) (with E Rossi)
- Emission lines in GRBs constrain the total energy reservoir. A&A 389, L33-L36 (2002) (with G Ghisellini, D Lazzati & E Rossi)
- From a simple big bang to our complex cosmos. In Future of Theoretical Physics and Cosmology, ed. G W Gibbons et al. pp 15-36 (CUP)
- Black holes in the real universe and their prospects as probes of relativistic gravity. In Future of Theoretical Physics and Cosmology, ed. G W Gibbons et al. pp 217-235 (CUP)
- X-ray rich GRBs, photospheres and variability. ApJ
578, 812-817 (2002)
(with P Meszaros, E Ramirez-Ruiz & B Zhang)
- Feeding black holes at galactic centres by capture from isothermal cusps. New Astronomy 7, 385-394 (2002)
(with H-S Zhao and M G Haehnelt)
- Events in the life of a cocoon surrounding a light, collapsar jet. MNRAS
337, 1349-1356 (2002)
(with E Ramirez-Ruiz & A Celotti)
- Does cosmology need a new paradigm? Proc Nat Acad Sci (in press)
- Dark Matter: Introduction. Phil Trans R Soc A361, 2427
- Numerical coincidences and ''tuning'' in cosmology. In "Fred Hoyle's Universe", ed C Wickramasinghe et al. (Kluwer) pp 95-108 (2003).
- Gamma-ray bursts as X-ray depth gauges of the Universe. ApJ 591,
L91-L94 (2003) (with P Mészáros)
- Photoionization feedback in low-mass galaxies at high redshift. ApJ
601 , 666 (2004) (with M Mijkstra, Z Haiman & D Weinberg)
- Compton drag as a mechanism for very high linear polarization in gamma-ray bursts. MNRAS 347 L1 (2004) (with D Lazzati, E Rossi & G Ghisellini)
- Heating and deceleration of GRB fireballs by neutron decay. In "Gamma Ray Bursts 2003: 30 years of the Discovery" AIP 727, 198 (2004) (with E M Rossi & A M Beloborodov)
- Early reionization by miniquasars. ApJ
604, 484 (2004) (with P Madau, M Volonteri, F Haardt & S P Oh)
- Constraining alternate models of black holes: type I X-ray bursts on accreting Fermion-Fermion and Boson-Fermion stars. ApJ 606, 1112 (2004) (with Y-F Yuan and R Narayan)
- Have we detected one of the sources responsible for re-ionizing the universe? MNRAS 352, L21 (2004) (with M Ricotti, M Haehnelt and M Pettini)
- Magnetic fields in the early universe. In Cosmic Magnetic Fields, ed R Wielebinski and R Beck (Springer) pp1-9 (2005)
- The distribution and cosmic evolution of massive black hole spins. ApJ 620 (2005) 69-77 (with M Volonteri, P Madau and E Quataert)
- Cyclotron maser emission from blazar jets. ApJ
625, 51-59 (2005) (with M Begelman and R Ergun)
- Dissipative Photosphere Models of Gamma-ray Bursts and X-ray Flashes. ApJ 625 847-852 (2005) (with P Mészáros)
- Peak energy clustering and efficiency in compact objects. ApJ
635, 476-480 (2005) (with A Pe'er and P Mészáros)
- Evolution, explosion and nucleosynthesis of Pop III Stars.
ApJ 645, 1352 (2006) (with T Ohkubo et al. )
- Rapid growth of high redshift black holes. ApJ
633, 624 (2005) (with M Volonteri)
- The observable effects of a photosphere component on GRBs and XRF prompt emission spectrum. ApJ
(in press) (with A Pe'er and P Mészáros)
- Neutron-loaded outflows in gamma-ray bursts. MNRAS 369, 1797 (2006) (with E Rossi and A M Beloborodov)
- Possible evidence for the ejection of a supermassive black hole from an ongoing merger of galaxies. MNRAS 366, L22-L25 (2006) (with M Haehnelt and M B Davies)
- The origin of the "seed" field for galactic dynamos. Astron. Nach. 5, 395 (2006)
- Dimensionless constants, cosmology, and other dark matters. Phys. Rev. D. 73, 023505 (2006) (with M Tegmark, A Aguirre and F Wilczek)
- Formation of Supermassive Black Holes by Direct Collapse in Pregalactic Halos. MNRAS 370, 289-298 (with M C Begelman and M Volonteri) (2006) astro-ph/0602363
- Black holes in active galactic nuclei. In "General Relativity and Gravitation" (Proc GR 17) ed P Florides
et al. (World Scientific) p 162 (2006)
- Quasars at z=6: the survival of the fittest. ApJ 650, 669-678
(with M Volonteri) (2006)
- Radiation from an expanding cocoon as an
explanation of the steep decay observed in GRB early afterglow light
curves. ApJ 652, 482-489 (with A Pe'er and P Mészáros) (2006) astro-ph/0603343
- Thermalisation in relativistic outflows and the correlation
between spectral hardness and apparent luminosity in gamma ray
bursts. ApJ 666, 1012-1023 (2007) (with C Thompson and P Mészáros)
- A new method of determining the initial size and Lorentz factor
of gamma-ray burst fireballs using a thermal emission component. ApJ
Letters 664, L1 (2007) (with A Pe'er, F Ryde, R A M J Wijers and P Mészáros)
- Massive Black Holes: formation and evolution.
In Proc. IAU Symp. 238 "Black Holes: from stars to galaxies - across
the range of masses", 51-59 (with M Volonteri) ed V Karas and G Matt
- Gamma-ray bursts prompt emission spectrum: an analysis of a
photosphere model. In Gamma-ray Bursts
Phil. Trans. Roy. Soc. 365 1854, 1171-1177 (2007)
(With A Pe'er and P Mészáros)
- Implications of very rapid TeV variability in blazars.
MNRAS 384, L19-L23 (2008)
(With M. C. Begelman and A. C. Fabian)
- Growth and implications of black holes at z > 6. Nuovo Cimento
(2008) (with M Volonteri).
- Population III gamma ray bursts. ApJ 715 967, (2010) (with P Mészáros).
GeV emission from collisional magnetised gamma ray bursts. ApJ
733 L40 (2011)
(with P Mészáros).astro-ph/1104.5025
- X-ray emission from the ultra-massive black hole candidate NGC 1277: implications and
speculations on its origin. MNRAS (in press). (with A C Fabian, J S Saunders, M Haehnelt and J.M.
Return to Home Page