I am a member of the Cambridge X-ray group, and a member of the science team for NASA's NuSTAR telescope. My research is based around understanding the X-ray emission from the innermost regions around black holes, and analysing their variability using sophisticated mathematical tools.
I have developed and expanded the use of principal component analysis (PCA) as a tool for the understanding of black hole spectral variability, as a complimentary method to frequency-based techniques. I have pioneered the use of this techinque as a way to qualitatively understand the behaviour of active galactic nuclei (AGN) using large archival datasets.
My work on reflection spectra has contributed to several different research projects, most noticably expanding reflection models to new areas of parameter space to cope with the increased energy range and sensitivity of NuSTAR.
Additionally, I work on modelling the spectra of AGN and X-ray binaries, in particular working on the ground-breaking new data from the NuSTAR telescope. I have also worked with spectra from the XMM-Newton, Suzaku, and Chandra satellites.
- Awakening of the High Redshift Blazar CGRaBS J0809+5341; Paliya, V. S., Parker, M. L., Stalin, C. S. et al., arxiv 1502.05660
- Revealing the X-ray Variability of AGN with Principal Component Analysis; Parker, M. L., Fabian, A. C., Matt, G., et al., MNRAS 447, 72
- A partial eclipse of the heart: the absorbed X-ray low state in Mrk 1048; Parker, M. L., Schartel, N., Komossa S., et al., MNRAS 445, 1039
- Discovery of a ~2 hr high frequency X-ray QPO and iron K alpha reverberation in the active galaxy MS 2254.9-3712; Alston, W., Parker, M. L., Markeviciute, J., et al., arxiv 1411.0684
- The role of the reflection fraction in constraining black hole spin; Dauser, T., Garcia, J., Parker, M. L. et al., MNRAS 444, L100
- The NuSTAR spectrum of Mrk 335: extreme relativistic effects within two gravitational radii of the event horizon?; Parker, M. L., Wilkins, D. R., Fabian, A. C, et al., MNRAS 443, 1723
- The Peculiar Radio-loud Narrow Line Seyfert 1 Galaxy 1H 0323+342; Paliya, V. S., Sahayanathan, S., Parker M. L. et al., ApJ 778, 143
- PCA of PCA: principal component analysis of partial covering absorption in NGC 1365; Parker, M. L., Walton, D. J., Fabian A. C. and Risaliti, G., MNRAS 441, 1817
- On the determination of spin and disc truncation of accreting black holes using X-ray reflection; Fabian, A. C., Parker, M. L., Wilkins, D. R., et al., MNRAS 439, 2307
- Principal component analysis of MCG-6-30-15 with XMM-Newton; Parker, M. L., Marinucci, A., Brenneman, L., et al., MNRAS 437, 721
- The Reflection Component from Cygnus X-1 in the Doft State Measured by NuSTAR and Suzaku; Tomsick, J. A., Nowak, M. A., Parker, M. L., et al., ApJ 780, 78
- Constraints on the Neutron Star and Inner Accretion Flow in Serpense X-1 Using NuSTAR; Miller, J. M., Parker, M. L., Fuerst, F., et al, ApJ 779, L2
- NuSTAR Spectroscopy of GRS 1915+105: Disk Reflection, Spin, and Connections to Jets; Miller, J. M., Parker, M. L., Fuerst, F., et al., ApJ 775, L45
MPhys (Hons, 1st) Theoretical Physics, Durham