GREAT Plenary Meeting (PM5)
Symposium 5 and Special Meeting 2 at the EWASS - Rome, 4 to 6 July 2012
NEWS: 20120709: All PRESENTATIONS now online
Meeting ProgrammeAgenda and meeting programme available on the meeting wiki site. In addition further details concerning the Symposium element of the Plenary, organised within the EAS European Week of Astronomy 2012, can be found on the EWASS-2012 site.
Meeting RegistrationThis GREAT Plenary is somewhat different in nature from previous GREAT Plenaries. This plenary will allow for the presentation of new science carried out within the context of the GREAT working groups, or related activities.
At this stage all those wishing to present are invited to signup with some details of their talk or poster idea. There is a page for each of the themed sessions linked from the meeting wiki at http://great.ast.cam.ac.uk/Greatwiki/GreatMeet-PM5. Thus, choose which session most fits your presentation topic and add to the page at:
- GREAT Surveys and Instruments: Symposium S5 - Session 2
- Galaxy Model, Survey Census, Chemical Tagging, Distances, ISM: Symposium S5 - Session 3:
- Local Group, Gaia ExtraGal, Gaia Alerts, New Stats: Symposium S5 - Session 4:
- Exoplanets, Astrometry Reference Frame, Quasars, Solar System: Symposium S5 - Session 5:
- Open Clusters, Stellar Variability, Binaries, Stellar Atmospheres, Massive Stars, End states of stellar evolution: Symposium S5 - Session 6:
All submissions received by Fri
25th May 2012 will be considered, with the final
programme being drawn up and published by Fri 1st June 2012.
Note - to add to the wiki page you'll need to ensure that you are logged in. If you don't have a username - go to http://great.ast.cam.ac.uk/Greatwiki/GreatHome and follow the instructions there. if you are having trouble adding directly to the wiki pages - then send your details by email to mailto:email@example.com
In addition to the two day science symposium there will be a
GREAT special meeting 11.20-13.20 on Weds 4th July 2012. This
will include GREAT working group reports and reports from recently
In terms of the meeting as a whole - the GREAT Plenary is
organised as Symposium 5 at the EWASS. You will need to register
to attend at the EWASS registration site - early registration closes 25th May
2012 - see http://www.ifsi-roma.inaf.it/ewass2012/?page_id=402
A limited amount of financial support for young astronomers
will be provided through the European Astronomical Society. You
can find information about this topic online at the following
EWASS Conference Proceedings
The proceedings of all events hosted by the EWASS conference will be published electronically in "MEMORIE della Società Astronomica Italiana Supplements". Publication will be in electronic form only.
Meeting Aims and GoalsThis fifth plenary meeting of GREAT will focus on the following key topics:
- Science from the GREAT network - leading to the promise of
- Update on the progress of Gaia, highlighting developments
relevant to those in the wider community aiming to
scientifically exploit Gaia
- Discuss the evolution of the GREAT network and review the ESF funded network in 2012
- Within parallel discussions decide on plans for specific networking activities to support the work of the various science working groups.
- Update on the GREAT initiatives